Friday 28 June 2013

Lovely Lists

As far back as I can remember, I've been a list maker!  I remember having list shaped stationary when I was quite small and yes, I have been known to add items to a list just so I can cross them off!

I have come to understand that lists aren't always the most effective way of managing time.  It's easy not to put everything needed on the list, they're not usually prioritised, it takes time to re-order and carry things forward from one day to the next and this can seem really demoralising.

I've just been doing some research on list software to get as smooth as I can about capturing all the actions swimming about in my mind, make sure I remember them at the right time and stay focused on what I really want.  I've chosen Toodledo because...
- it works well on my laptop and iphone and syncronises on it own
- it allows me to link actions to their purpose through goals or folders
- there are 3 priority levels plus stars
- it enables me to sort them by location as well as importance and date (the free version allows sorting by 2 items and you need to upgrade to add 3)
- I can estimate time an eaction will take and then use the timer function to see how long it really takes - interesting and with motivational race possibilities!
- I can share lists with others I'm collaborating with
- I can repeat regular items very flexibly  

I've been going about a week on this (previously I used the lists that came with my phone plus handwritten ones!) and so far so good!

It frees up time for doing the real time management work- ensuring the actions I'm taking are moving me towards my goals and clearing any resistance to the actions that's holding me back.  Interestingly I've found less resistance since using the app as I can see actions already lined up for the date I'm tempted to postpone to and I'm reminded of the reason for the action.

I'd be interested to hear if you've experience of different apps you've found helpful for managing time.  But for now.....blog entry..... tick!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment