Friday 5 July 2013

What's a Life Coach?



Despite the abundance of coaches at networking events, giving opinions on TV and writing in magazines, I’m still regularly asked this question.  Perhaps you’ve asked already or would like to know but are being polite!  

Here's a quiz I created some time ago...

Just for fun, imagine you are going to ride a bike for the first time, the following people offer assistance…

Person One says, “I will buy you the bike, put on training wheels and take them off when I think you are ready.  I will run by the bike holding on until you can balance and then will cheer as you go riding onto the sunset.  Occasionally I will threaten to take away the bike if you don't comply with my rules!”

Person Two explains, “I will encourage you to talk through your fears about riding and the consequences of falling.  I will listen very deeply and help you to heal yourself.  We will discuss your past experiences of riding, such as if your parents rode and why that might be important.”

And Person Three adds, “I will listen to your desire to try riding and ask if you need instructions on how to ride and if so, where you might get them.  I will run alongside the bike 'checking in' to see if you're enjoying the experience and asking what might make it more fun.  When you stop I will ask you about your experience and what was valuable.”

Can you identify the roles of coach, parent and therapist?  If you’re embarking on something new, feeling stuck or in the midst of a big decision, you don’t have to go it alone!  Think about the kind of person who could serve you best…

Be clear about your requirements and ask for what you want.

Ever wanted a friend to listen and got an earful of advice?  In your business and personal life knowing how you respond to the different roles, where you want expert input, where you’d prefer guidance on the process and where you need support and confidence building, can pay dividends. 

For the full, interactive version of this quiz, the answers and an explanation of what a Life Coach does please visit http://www.soulsanook.com/quiz

No comments:

Post a Comment