Thursday 20 June 2013

Chatting Over Breakfast



One of the reasons I thought it’d be good to set up my coaching business in Bangkok was the abundance of networking groups there.  They covered virtually all interests and were often key in helping newcomers feel at home.  Little did I know that, on returning to the UK, I’d find plentiful networking here too!

One of the first groups I came across was the Hastings Chamber of Commerce, at first it was held a 2 minute downhill walk from my home with a good breakfast so there was no excuse!  I’ve been attending for a while now, (different venues and breakfast styles) and it feels great to be part of the vibrant, inclusive Hastings business community.

At first I thought I’d be recruiting new clients and I had my elevator speech all worked out.  However his isn’t the place for in-depth or exposed conversations, many people already feel on edge at big events without someone asking about the changes they’d like to make to their lives!  So, whilst I still talk to people about coaching, I mainly go along to make and develop connections and to be nosy!

This morning we had a very comprehensive talk from Becky Shaw, Chief Executive, East Sussex County Council.  As well as learning a little more than I probably needed to about potholes, I had my eyes opened to grants that might be available for social enterprises, connected with a new business owner and got updates from existing contacts and previous Life Puzzle participants.  I came away feeling involved.

I hear people who’ve been put off of networking.  I wonder if they went to a particularly macho group of overeager business card collectors?  There’s such a range of group styles now- varying formality, structure, venue and participant profile- you just need to find the one for you.  Here are my networking tips….
1.  Explore a few groups to find the best fit for you
2.  Keep an open mind and positive attitude.  If you decide you won’t like it before you’ve arrived, the chances are you won’t like it once you’re there!   
3.  Be yourself.  If you feel uncomfortable promoting your business, those you’re promoting it to will feel uncomfortable too.  Better to be interested in others and enthusiastic about connecting. 
4.  If there’s an introduction or presentation you need to make, prepare and rehearse so you are confident and succinct.
5.  When you find your group, go consistently to build relationships and trust.  

And, if it's an early morning one, don't do as I did this morning - allow enough time so you're fully awake and present from the moment you arrive!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment