Monday 25 February 2013

The Importance of Being

We've all heard that we're 'human beings' not 'human doings' but how many of us are really putting this into practice?

We write long lists of things to do and then beat ourselves up when we don't achieve the impossible.  Being self-employed, it's easy to let work slip into personal time especially if you've the kind of mind that's always coming up with ideas and wanting to get onto the next thing.  Being busy is a badge we wear to demonstrate our value and success, not to mention a socially acceptable way of avoiding things and feelings that might not be comfortable.   And of course, technology provides constant opportunities for distractions and disengaging if that's what we're seeking.

What saves me from the 'doing treadmill' are client coaching sessions.  To coach effectively I need to be fully present.  To gather my energy from the past and future and focus totally on the client and the coaching process.  Once I'm tuned into 'coaching mode', I have a clearer perspective on what's important.  Meditation and some dancing work like this for me, as does truly connecting with my partner.

This weekend was nearly completely overtaken with tasks but we managed to throw out the agenda for Saturday morning and just 'be'- wonderful, memorable, real intimacy.

Then spending time with my worried mother I was feeling inadequate until I realised I really couldn't do much.  She just needed me to be there.

Our time and full attention is a precious gift, who will you give yours to today? 


No comments:

Post a Comment