Thursday 21 February 2013

The Gift of Asking for Help

Taking the train into London recently, I needed to get off at a new stop.  I got up and stood by the door far too early, as did a woman travelling with her elderly mother on the mammothjourney from Hastings to York.  As we waited and chatted (I quite often break the mould and talk to fellow passengers just for fun), her mother became quite uncomfortable and pale.  (She didn’t want to sit back down as standing up was the hardest part.)

As we drew into the station more commuters joined us, including a young man who stood by the women’s cases.  As I already had a few bags, I asked the man if he wouldn’t mind carrying the cases.  His eyes lit up and he eagerly played his part, offering to carry the cases further.  Once on the platform, the Attendant was there in a flash offering a wheel chair and other help.   

I was reminded what a gift it is to ask for help.  The young man seemed genuinely pleased- perhaps he was thinking of offering but concerned about causing offence or of being rejected because of suspicion associated with his age and dress.  When working, helping others can be the most rewarding part of the day.

I guess it was easier for me to ask for help on behalf of the ladies as the young man could have said 'no' and I wouldn't have been offended.  There's often a lot of 'baggage' associated with asking for help.  Perhaps if we remembered what a gift that request can be, we'd take the risk and ask more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment