Thursday 29 August 2013

Good People



I’ve just had my first adventure into film making.  My partner’s enthusiasm and experience (even if he said he didn’t know what he was doing!) swept me along.  I found myself doing all sorts of strange things on the beach and having loads of fun.




One of the strange things we got up to was approaching complete strangers and asking them questions about beach huts.  Even in this age of every day annoying surveys, the open, expressive and sometimes passionate responses we got were really heart-warming.




If I had thought about it beforehand I probably would have argued that we didn’t want to disturb these people’s peace or that they might have got upset.  And then we would have missed out- in terms of the film but more so in terms of the human to human contact.  Dialogue as Buddhists say.  We learnt something and our interviewees had the opportunity to express themselves on film but perhaps more important there was some exchange of positive energy, something invisible magnifying the good.




The assumption that people are good is a helpful starting point.  We are all doing our best.  We don’t all get it right all the time.  Who doesn’t make mistakes or have off days?  And some compound those errors and get really lost.  However knowing that at our core we all love and desire connection, is important to keep in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment